Since its foundation, within the Incubator for Innovative Enterprises of the Polytechnic of Turin, RAMS&E carries out Research and Development activities operating in two directions: on one side, continuously improving and refining methodologies and tools through which it carries out its business, on the other hand, applying these methodologies and tools for the development of innovative products and processes. These objectives are achieved by operating in different ways:
- internally, each year, investing a portion of the budget to develop new tools or methodologies or study new products or processes from the point of view of reliability, process safety and environmental sustainability.
- supporting the Customers in the development of innovative products or processes
- participating in funded research projects
All this, carried out in constant contact with important research institutions such as the Polytechnic of Turin and the city technological district “Environment Park”. Also, through the continuous involvement of university interns and undergraduates.
The services provided by RAMS&E within the Process Safety area are the following:
- Basic designing and feasibility studies for innovative systems
- Support for the development of innovative products and new technologies by applying RAMS techniques
- Support to the characterization and prediction process of reliability data for innovative equipment during the industrialization phase.
- Analysis of the consequences of accidents for innovative systems (DNV-RP-A203)
- Regulatory and authorization feasibility studies for new products or processes.
- Support for innovation and improvement of business processes as regards the adoption of the best methodologies available for managing system reliability and process safety.
GOALS OF THE ACTIVITY
SATURNO (Italian acronym for: “Organic waste and carbon dioxide transformed into fuels, fertilizers and chemicals; circular economy practical application”) is an industrial research and experimental development project, born as part of the process for creating the technological platform “Bioeconomia”, financed and promoted by the Piedmont Region, Italy.
RAMS&E, within the SATURNO project, was entrusted with the role of “leader” with regard to Work Package 6, i.e., coordination and monitoring of the progress of the works relating to work package “Business Plan and environmental and social impact”, whose main objective is the analysis of all information generated by the project with the aim of drawing up the business plan, LCA studies and reliability analyzes e process safety of the entire production chain tested in the project.
Furthermore, RAMS&E was also in charge of TASK 6.3 “Analysis of reliability and technological safety of the bio-refinery”, i.e., it will have to support the partners with their own analysis methodologies, in order to ensure that the safety aspects can be dealt with on the way, aiming at a “safety driven” designing.
The analyzes carried out in the context of TASK 6.3 contributed to the development and engineering of innovative processes developed within Saturno project and led to the development of numerous reliability and safety studies. The above processes are also examined from the point of view of authorization procedures to be undertaken for the purposes of construction and operation permits and, more generally, for HSE regulatory compliance.